Friday, March 16, 2012






I had the pleasure of interviewing Elizabeth Urquhart from PureNaturePhotos. I am so excited to share this interview and to invite you to visit her beautiful shop.

It is great to share this afternoon with you. Please tell us a little about yourself.
I am from Toronto Canada. I moved to Seattle almost 8 years ago when my husband got a job here. I love everything about the NW: the mountains, the lakes, and the ocean. I even love the weather here especially in the winter when I talk to my family back in Canada and it is -20. During the day I work for a near by school district facilitating the development of special education curriculum and coaching teachers. In the evening I love spending time with my 4 month old daughter and husband.









I love your nature photography. When did you first discover you had this great eye for nature's beauty?
I have been taking photos of nature for years to remember all the beautiful places I have visited. I really began honing my photography skills two summers ago at my grandmother’s cottage. While there on a two week vacation I decided to capture the sun setting in a different way each night. I was so pleased with the results of this challenge that I was motivated to continue shooting. Many of the lake sunset photos in my store are from this project.

Could you tell us about some of your work?
I love nature, I love photography, and I love home decor. I try to capture the shapes and colors of nature in my photos to complement the interior design of homes. Lately, I have begun adding textures and I love the extra dimension they give to my photographs.

You live in a cold climate, do you travel for your photos?
Right now most of the photography in my shops was either taken around Seattle or at my grandmother's cottage just north of Toronto. In fact, I had to travel the farthest for my winter photos. They were taken on ski vacations. My family and I are planning a trip to Napa Valley this summer and I am really looking forward to getting some great shots on that trip.









What inspires you to keep going and how do you keep yourself motivated?
My biggest inspiration is nature; so I just have to go outside to get inspired. I love being outside so photography is an excuse to get out and explore a new park or visit the beach. I also love interior design so sometimes I get inspired by a certain room. For example, right now I am working on a series of still life photos for kitchen decor. Selling on Etsy is also a great motivator. Seeing all the great work that other photographers produce challenges me to keep developing my art.








Describe yourself in 5 words:
Creative, Funny, Smart, Determined, and Adventurous

How has your experience been selling online?
Selling online is challenging, but so rewarding. Every time I sell a photo I am thrilled that someone has chosen to decorate their home with my art. I also like selling online because I can fit it in when I have the time. I work full time and have a 4 month old so I really only have time in the evening to work on the shop.

What has been your most exciting moment as an artist?
I would have to say making my first sale was the most exciting moment for me. It made me feel like a real artist. I also get really excited every time I get a new set of photos printed. I love looking at my work in a print rather then on my computer screen.

Do you have any advice for new artists?
If you are just beginning to sell on Etsy I would advise you to slow down and concentrate on one thing at a time. The most important thing is to build up inventory in your store. In fact, I still need to work on this. When I first started many helpful Etsy sellers gave me advice; but it was too much to follow all at once. I decided to leave social networking for later and focus on my shop and treasury making to begin with. Now that my shop has been open for just over 6 months I have started to use Twitter and Facebook.

Ttalking about Twitter and Facebook, where else can we find you online?
Shop www.etsy.com/shop/PureNaturePhotos
Facebook www.facebook.com/purenaturephotos
Twitter twitter.com/#!/purenaturephoto
And of course: www.PureNaturePhotos.Etsy.com

And how has the Statteam motivated/helped/promoted you and your art?
Statteam was one of the first treasury team that I was accepted to and I was really excited to become a member. Now I am on a number of other treasury teams because I love to make treasuries. However, my Statteam treasuries are still the treasuries that get the most view.


Anything else outside your photography you would like share?
In addition to selling on Etsy I love to buy from all the wonderful artists. Right now I am much more successful at buying than selling. I can't wait for the day when I earn more on Etsy then I spend :)

Don’t we all?
                                                                                  Created by Vanessa of WhisperingOak

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful talent! And a great interview. The Pacific NW is a wonderful spot for great photography too. I lived there for about 13 years. So many possibilites and Elizabeth is obviously taking advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what comes from that trip to Napa!


    Tina
    Night's Vision

    ReplyDelete